[wpkg-users] XML packages tree

Jason Oster jason.oster at campnavajo.com
Tue Jun 15 17:00:18 CEST 2010

On 06/15/2010 07:30 AM, Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> My idea was to put the XML package in the directory of the software to
> have something like:
>
> zip/7zip/9.13/
>             \- install.cmd
>             \- remove.cmd
>             \- unattended.cmd
>             \- 7zip.xml
>             \- 7z913.msi
>             \- 7z913-x64.msi
>
> As we have everything in a VCS repository, it's easier to manage all the
> files in one repository than in two.

I currently manage my WPKG tree with Mercurial (just another VCS) using
a directory structure where /packages/ contains all the XML files, and
/software/ contains sub-directories for installers, batch files, etc.
It's still "one repository", just with a different directory structure:

wpkg/
|-- packages/
|   |-- 7zip.xml
|   +-- firefox.xml
+-- software/
     |-- 7zip/
     |   |-- 7zip.msi
     |   +-- 7zip.ini
     +-- firefox/
         +-- firefox-3.6.3.exe

I believe this is the recommended directory structure, and I've never
had trouble with it.

> What do you think about loading the packages based on profiles and local
> wpkg.xml database? Is it useful to load every packages in packages.xml
> and packages/*xml ?

How else is it supposed to know which xml packages belong to the
profiles associated with the host?

I'll give you an example from one of my packages: mozilla_extensions.xml

This one XML file contains several packages; adblockplus, moretoolsmenu,
lightning, contactssidebar, to name just a few.  These are extensions
for Firefox and Thunderbird.  There's no way for WPKG to "know" where to
find those packages, without first parsing all of the XML files.

So yes, it is useful to load every package (and then ignore all that
aren't a part of the profile being managed).