[wpkg-users] WPKG and WPKG-GP

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jun 24 23:37:42 CEST 2010

Hi Stanislav,
On 24/06/2010 06:59, Stanislav Zhelyazkov wrote:
>   Yes we have samba 3 domain and we are just starting to implement
> windows 7 in our organization. I like the WPKG client but it doesn't
> display to the user what is doing. Some installations like MS office are
> taking a lot of time and the user my interrupt that process by shutting
> down the PC. I actually in the near future I want to uninstall Office
> 2007 and to install Office 2010. The problem is that it have to
> uninstall one application and to install other and this application is
> commonly used by the users and it will be good if some message is
> displayed during that process. This process probably will take a lot of
> time and I don't want the user to interrupt it. I will make some tests
> to use both to see what will happen and which process will take first or
> will they run together. I don't understand how these features work and
> what they do:
> (/GPExtentionFeature,ADMComponentFeature,WPKGGPClientFeature. /If you
> could explain me more I will be glad.
GPExtentionFeature: this installs policy dll plugin, that is resonsible
for running and parsing wpkg.js and providing on screen feedback.
Conceptually this is the heart of WPKG-GP and without this component no
updates will be made. You must install this on the clients that will be
updated

WPKGGPClientFeature: This installs wpkg-gp-client.exe cmd line client
that in essence does the same thing as the dll plugin but enables more
verbose messaging to stdout. It purpose is primarily for debugging as
you don't have to restart the machine to see waht is going on. You
probably don't need this feature on production clients but might come in
handy on the reference/test machine

ADMComponentFeature: this installs Administrative template (.adm) that
can be used to define WPKG-GP component for GPO/LGP. You don't really
need this feature on the clients (unless you planning to run WPKG-GP as
a LGP) - you should install/import this adm template to your AD (or
samba 4) domain controller, and you could (with a bit of tweaking)
convert it to system policy for samba 3 usage.

For more detailed information see
http://code.google.com/p/wpkg-gp/wiki/BehindTheScenes
For information on group policy mechanics see links available at
http://code.google.com/p/wpkg-gp/wiki/GroupPolicyReferences

 > I was wondering if I could add the
> template trough registry without doing manually and doing the same for
> these parametars: *WPKG file path, **WPKG Parameters, **WPKG Verbosity*

I believe this is possible, but have no tried it myself. If it works for
you i would be interested to know
> . I am sorry if my question is a bit stupid but I just cannot understand
> it from the installation guide.  And my last final question is: Will be
> there in the future a way to display installation message through WPKG
> client on windows 7? May be something like MDT 2010 do it with
> installing Windows 7 if you have seen it.
I'm familliar with MDT - i use it for all M$ deployment ;). AFAIK
current WPKG client does not play well with Windows 7 due to the new
security model in Vista and all OS that follow it. As for on-screen
feedback (in a simmilar fashion to WPKG-GP) it would be very nice to
have that in existing WPKG client

Regards

Luk