[wpkg-users] Newbie question: Package Naming Best Practices?

donotcare at fastmail.fm donotcare at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 31 21:43:40 CEST 2010

Thanks to the WPKG wiki and the mailing list archives, I've got WPKG basically
working in a small office deployment.  Thanks to the developers for your work!

But I'm still not clear on the best general way to manage the <package> tags in
packages.xml for smooth updates.  Do you usually have the package id & name
be more generic, and just use the revision attribute to manage version upgrade?
Or do you create a new package for every patch level, resulting in a bunch of
package entries for each piece of software?

For example, take the wiki's silent install example for Java...

  <package id="java6" name="Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 19" revision="19" [...]

Works easily for now, but what happens when JRE 7 comes out?  Do you just add a new
"java7" package to packages.xml?  Do you also remove the "java6" package from the
file?  Would it be better to, instead, have something more generic like:

  <package id="java" name="Sun JRE" revision="01061900">

And then just increment the revision as updates come out?

Also what about things like the latest Adobe Reader 9.3.1 which is just a patch?  The
wiki example adds the patch into the existing "adobereader93" package entry, but
doesn't that cause people who already have 9.3.0 to have it re-installed first?  Would
it make more sense to put the 9.3.1 patch into a separate package, and give it a
<depends> tag pointing back to 9.3?

I guess i'm just looking for a rule of thumb on a consistent way to add/modify package
entries as updates come out.  The examples I've seen all vary quite a bit in their
approaches and I don't know what's best.

Thanks & sorry for the wordy post...

-Matt