[wpkg-users] A few issue

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Mar 2 15:21:33 CET 2010

On 02.03.2010 15:13, Vasaris wrote:

> Which one? 1.3.15? Maybe there is tracking/roadmap, therefore I could get notified, when it is out?

Subscribe to wpkg-announce list, you will be notified of any stable
releases.

>> It should also finally upgrade successfully from 1.3.14 (as previous
>> versions may cause problems in some circumstances and the upgrade will
>> fail, as you described).
>
> Do you mean, that 1.3.14 =>  1.3.14+ upgrade will be fixed? Or from pre-1.3.14 =>  1.3.14?

1.3.14 => 1.3.14+.

pre-1.3.14 => 1.3.14 will still work in most cases, but you're not one
of them.

Making pre-1.3.14 => 1.3.14 always work would need some substantial
changes - if you're affected and want to sponsor the effect, let me know...

>> It stores its settings in the registry, and most of them are kept in
>> secure lockers in registry, so you won't be able to access them.
>>
>> The service itself does not look for settings.xml file anywhere; it is
>> "applied" by wpkginst.exe (either manually, or during the installation).
>
> I am sorry, but I do not understand that. What, does it means "applied"? Is is stored in wpkginst.exe itself, as compiled?

Imported into secure lockers in the registry.

> Until now, I have thought, that settings.xml file is read everytime by WPKG service, when it runs.

No, it is not and never was.

> And that it is specified in .mst transform, or in the command line, if the client .msi package is deployed manually. And this setting goes to the service startup parameters. May you clarify this for me?

I don't know what you did with the .mst transform, so I can't help you
with this.

Certainly, the service does not read settings.xml file upon startup.