[wpkg-users] Periodical wpkg script execution from wprg client

Bill Prentice Bprentice at campuspartners.com
Wed Mar 24 15:39:29 CET 2010

I can suggest the following : a scheduled task running from a server such as a domain controller. This task could run something against each machine in the domain to restart the service.

When I am trying to get one machine to restart (such a my test deployment machine) I use a powershell script. Here is the code:

param([string]$machine = "machine", [string]$service = "service")
(Get-WmiObject Win32_Service -computer $machine -Filter "name = '$service'").stopservice()
Start-Sleep –s 10
(Get-WmiObject Win32_Service -computer $machine -Filter "name = '$service'").startservice()

Line 1 supplies the variable declarations. Line 2 stops the indicated service on the indicated machine. Line 3 waits 10 seconds for the service to definitely stop. Line 4 starts the service again.

If you save the code as foo.ps1 you can remotely cycle the WPKG service from another machine by issuing the command:

PS prompt:> ./foo.ps1 -machine "remotePC" -service "WPKGservice"

Kind regards,

Bill Prentice
K.T.J.R.
Striving for R.F.C. 1925 compliance