[wpkg-users] windows 7 compatibility

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Mar 25 11:46:24 CET 2010

Hi both,

On 25.03.2010 11:23, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Am 25.03.2010 11:04, soomon wrote:
>> hey there,
>>
>> just saw wpkg and i like it and want to use it for software deployment.
>> we have windows xp and windows 7 machines here.
>> on xp everything works fine but when wpkg runs on a w7 machine windows
>> displays a message saying sth. like "a program wants to display a
>> message, click here to view it".
>> i am using the lastest client from the homepage (1.3.9).
>>
>> is there a way to prevent this?
>
> Could you make a screenshot of this message (and a second screenshot if
> any message is displayed)?

This is a message displayed on the "protected desktop" of Windows 7. A window is
shown to the user with just one button to view the "hidden" message. This
usually happens if an installer started by WPKG is not really silent but still
displays some dialog boxes. These windows do not show up on the user desktop as
in Windows XP but on a protected desktop where the user can only switch to it to
view these windows.

The solution is to find a way making the program to install silently without
displaying dialog boxes.

I think the "UI0Detect" service (Interactive Services Detection) triggers this
message. So it might disappear if you disable this service. However this might
have some side effects. On my Win7 Professional machines the service is
configured to "Manual" startup type.

In any case the way to prevent it is to make the installer really silent.