[wpkg-users] windows 7 compatibility

Justin Brinegar brinegar at physics.unc.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:01:04 CET 2010

Hi,

We wanted our users to have a status/information window so that they
wouldn't freak out when they saw their computers 'thinking hard' during
a WPKG run.

Our solution: Create an execute=always package with an extremely high
priority that launches a 'display' program impersonating the logged on
user. CreateProcessAsUser.exe launches a homebrew app that has our logo
in it and a simple text box that is updated from a flatfile on disk.
Packages modify the flatfile ('Installing (Name) (version)...'), which
updates the display.  This lets custom status information be displayed
to the user.  This was never used in production, so I can't attest to
how well it works - this was just a proof of concept and was intentioned
to be a solution until our homebrew display program could be rewritten.

I also experimented with making notification area balloon tips.  I'm not
sure that would help you if you are running at shutdown though.

It would be awesome if WPKG could write to the action/notification area
on Windows 7 by default...that would suffice for most usages I think.

Justin