[wpkg-users] Deploying office 2010

DANY CHOUINARD CHOUINARD.DANY at csob.qc.ca
Wed Nov 17 15:34:20 CET 2010

I'm (barely) deploying office 2010 in schools labs.  I thought
everything was quit fine (not really, but it was working when wpkg.js
was called from the command prompt) but the Office's setup.exe forks
into it's own process and loose it's network share once wpkg.js is done.
Therefore no Office get ever deployed at bootup when using the wpkg
service.

It would be cool if anyone was able to make the script waits the
completion of the installation.

Since I couldn't find any guide to deploy office 2010, here is how I'm
doing it :

You need to create an MSP.  To do so, simply run "setup.exe /admin" from
the installation CD.  This is the nice and cool thing from office 2010.
Put the MSP file in x86/Updates.

Now in package.xml

<package id="office2010"
        name="Microsoft Office 2010"
        revision="1"
        reboot="false"
        priority="40">
        <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Microsoft
Office Professional Plus 2010" />
        <install cmd='%comspec% /C start "" /I /WAIT "%SOFTWARE%
\office2010\setup.exe" /adminfile "%SOFTWARE%\office2010\x86\Updates
\horizon-office.msp" ' >
                <exit code="1641" reboot="delayed"/>
        </install>
        <upgrade cmd='%comspec% /C start /wait "%SOFTWARE%\office2010
\setup.exe" /adminfile "%SOFTWARE%\office2010\x86\Updates
\horizon-office.msp"' >
                <exit code="1641" reboot="delayed"/>
        </upgrade>
        <remove cmd='%comspec% /C start /wait "%SOFTWARE%\office2010
\setup.exe" /uninstall ProPlus.WW /config  "%SOFTWARE%\office2010\x86
\ProPlus.WW\silentuninstall.xml"' />
</package>

By the way, yo have to write down your own "silentuninstall.xml".  Mine
looks like this :

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes"
AcceptEula="yes" />
</Configuration>

You'll be please to know that for own security, the software has to be
activate.  Normal user can't, just administrator.  There is a VBS script
that do that (i was about to cry).  It can be spawn from the installer
by the MSP.  Google that, it's true!  But that wont work for me,
obviously 'cause an old voodoo spell cast upon I.  I instead use this
package :

<package id="office2010-horizon-activation" name="Activation d'Office
2010"
                revision="1"
                reboot="false"
                priority="40">
        <depends package-id="office2010-horizon" />
        <check type="execute" path="%software%\office2010
\activation.bat" condition="exitcodeequalto" value="0" />
        <install cmd='"c:\windows\system32\cscript" "c:\program files
\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.vbs" /act' />

</package>

Activation.bat contain the following code :
c:\windows\system32\cscript "c:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office14
\OSPP.vbs" /dstatus | find "---LICENSED---"
exit %errorlevel%

There, I bared it all.  This works fine when called manually, but the
installer complain that he loose the network share when run from the
wpkg service.  I guess it is normal since the installer fork it's
process, letting the wpkg.js script terminate.

I hope someone will find a neat hack to install office 2010.

--
  Dany CHOUINARD
  Technicien en informatique               -o)

  tél. 819.825.4220 ext. 3041
  cel. 819.856.6892
  skype. dchouinard

  www.danychouinard.net