[wpkg-users] Deploy different versions of wpkg dependent on XP/Seven

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Nov 17 12:56:00 CET 2010

Hi,

On 17.11.2010 12:23, zorgman wrote:
> But if i do it, i can't say
> if exist path='%ProgramFiles(x86)%\soft\uninstall.exe' run it else run
> path='%ProgramFiles%\soft\uninstall.exe'.
>

> Check will just say, run install or not, am i wrong?

I think you probably did not get the point to use a simple install script. Yes,
the check will just say "run or don't run" but then it runs the script which
will then run the right installer.

When removing a package you can do the same.

Just run a simple uninstall.cmd script with the contents:

@echo off
set PROGRAM_FILES=%ProgramFiles%
if not "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" == "" set PROGRAM_FILES=%ProgramFiles(x86)%

start /wait "Uninstall" "%PROGRAM_FILES%\soft\uninstall.exe"

That's all the magic.

So let WPKG decide wheter to install/uninstall the program and use some simple
and generic script where you need to do additional decisions on WHAT exactly to
be done on this specific system.
There are some people requesting that such things should be handled directly by
complex XML structure. But no matter how complex WPKG would be it will still not
cover all the special cases. Using simple scripts to cover such cases perfectly
allow you to run commands specific to the system environment. It also allows you
to do some checks in the script and apply only the changes really required with
full flexibility.