[wpkg-users] Applying registry entry to all users (HKCU)

Troy Hamilton troy.a.hamilton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:54:04 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Marco Gaiarin <gaio at sv.lnf.it> wrote:

> Mandi! Troy Hamilton
>  In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > I would recommend using Active Setup (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Setup ).
>
> Very nice, but for me misses some requirement, particulary in this way
> there's no way to *impose* a settings, apart clearly build a complex
> logon script that check every user registry settings and if different
> from the current policy do something (eg, downgrade the policy revision
> itself, so at next logon can be installed again).

Yes, since Active Setup only runs the program/command once for each user
(and version of the AS entry) it does not work that well to "enforce"
settings as can be achieved via group policies.

I have previously thought about setting up a separate wpkg installation
which is run periodically as the logged-in-user to enforce such registry
settings, etc.  I planned to start cron.exe (
http://www.kalab.com/freeware/cron/cron.htm) at login running as the user
instead of the SYSTEM account (crons.exe).  Then, cron.exe would
periodically run wpkg-user-settings.bat which would apply packages based on
the users group membership, OU, etc. using Jindrich Vorlicek's enhancements
(search the list archives for "More ways of defining hosts in hosts.xml" if
interested).

I'd even thought about getting fancy and putting together an HTA or some
kind of user interface that would generate xml package files and reg files
based on the standard group policy adm files.

But since my organization uses AD GPOs, I never had a pressing need to
explore it any further.

3) Umpfh. A tool WPKG-like but user-based, that run on netlogon scripts.
> I've lost the link. ;)

I would certainly be interested in hearing about this tool if you find the
link.

Cheers,

Troy