[wpkg-users] FW: windows batch file install wpkg client

Greg Peterson greg.peterson at usu.edu
Tue Aug 23 17:39:30 CEST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org [mailto:wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org] On Behalf Of Donny Brooks
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:52 AM
To: wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
Subject: [wpkg-users] windows batch file install wpkg client

I am trying to automate our new pc setup procedure as much as possible.
In that I am looking at a way to have the wpkg client automatically install with the proper settings. The only thing we change is the location to the wpkg.js file, all other settings are default. When I stated here they had a batch file that would install the 32bit client and service but now 2 years later that file is nowhere to be found.

So if anyone has a pointer on how to, without user input, install wpkg client 1.3.14 x64 using a batch file I would be greatly appreciative!

Donny B.
-----End Original Message-----

Donny,

I too have found it very useful to use a batch file to install the WPKG client. I went as far as to use a batch to exe compiler to bundle the settings file, the x86, and the x64 client together and let my batch file do the rest. Here is the script I have been using:

	copy /Y wpkgsettings.xml %TEMP%
	IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%" (GOTO 64-bit) ELSE (GOTO 32-bit)
	:32-bit
	echo Installing WPKG 32-bit
	msiexec /qb /i "WPKG Client 1.3.14-x32.msi" SETTINGSFILE="%TEMP%\wpkgsettings.xml"
	GOTO END
	:64-bit
	echo Installing WPKG 64-bit
	msiexec /qb /i "WPKG Client 1.3.14-x64.msi" SETTINGSFILE="%TEMP%\wpkgsettings.xml"
	GOTO END
	:END
	del %TEMP%\wpkgsettings.xml

The reason for copying the settings file to %TEMP% was so the SETTINGSFILE= line would point to the right place after the compiled exe extracted the included files. You can take those lines out if you have a static place you can point the settings file to, or if you have specified the location of the settings file in a modified MSI (using orca).

Hope this helps,
Greg P