[wpkg-users] Determining whether WPKG actions are necessary

Kristopher Johnson kris at kristopherjohnson.net
Sat Dec 17 15:03:41 CET 2011

Rather than using the standard WPKG Client service, I am implementing
another service that provides some user interaction. I want to be able
to determine whether any new or updated packages are available, and if
so, ask the user whether to install them.

I am implementing my own service and accompanying UI, but I’d like to
avoid making my own fork of wpkg.js.

I have my service and the accompanying UI mostly implemented, but I’m
not sure how to implement the “determine whether any new or updated
packages are available”  functionality. The only way I’ve found to do
it (without modifying wpkg.js) is to execute it with the “/dryrun”
command-line flag and then check whether the text “Could not process”
appears in the output. This seems to work, but seems hacky and
brittle.

Can anyone suggest a better way to do this?

Thanks,
-- Kris