[wpkg-users] MSIs, install paths and different architectures

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Tue Dec 6 08:32:50 CET 2011

Hello,

> Is the only option going to be the slightly messy approach to
> install to a new directory in the root of c:?  That will mean having
> to modify the existing data files that have already been authored,
> but will only have to be done once, before we create too many more.

I'm afraid yes. This way you'll not only avoid the 64bit-mess, but the
language-mess too. At least on XP, %PROGRAMFILES% is different for every
supported locale of XP. Vista and later kinda solved this by going a way
similar to OSX (using localized paths in the gui but english underneath).
If you want to stay compatible, c: is the easiest solution.

You could also go check the installer variables - maybe the installer
exports a property for putting only the relevant datafiles somewhere else.

Or (finally) for your projects you could try SUBSTing the data to a drive
letter - that way your SUBST-Script (that you should put in a login script
or maybe a start script) is configurable, but the data is always at the
same place. We do this for a few ancient software packages.

Best Regards
        Heiko