[wpkg-users] Push Install WPKG with Psexec

Claudio Ghirardi claudio.ghirardi at geniaware.com
Fri Dec 9 12:30:19 CET 2011

On 12/9/2011 10:54 AM, Falko Trojahn wrote:
> Hello,

>>> Did you copy the files to C:\Temp on all the computers you want to
>>> install them to?
>>> If not, put them on a network share and install from there instead.
>>> I install WPKG by a startup script that also checks that the service
>>> is set to automatic.
>>>
>>> /David
>>>
>> I moved the installation files in a network share and ran the command
>> again (from the server, ofc), but - again - nothing happens on the
>> target client apart from the messages in the event viewer i posted
>> before.
>>
>> I really don't know what else to try, i follwed the instructions step by
>> step (apart from putting the .xml files on the root directory of the
>> server, but i don't think this can be a matter).
>
> Are you sure, that "domain\useradmin" has administrative rights on the
> local computers?
>
> I'd suggest to go to a target machine, run the psexec command locally
> using cmd.exe instead of msiexec, and then within cmd.exe run msiexec
> manually to get an idea what's wrong.
>
> BTW:
> If you specify the parameter -d, that means "Don't wait for process to
> terminate", so psexec starts the command and then exits instantly.
>
> Best regards,
> Falko

As i said in another reply, if i go to the target machine, open a
command prompt with administrative rights and run the command msiexec /i
"\\servername\wpkg\client\install\WPKG_Client_1.3.14-x64.msi" /qb
SETTINGSFILE="\\servername\wpkg\client\install\settings.xml" it all goes
fine.

I think it's a psexec issue but i cannot get the cause. If i run psexec
dorm the server i continue to see the message msiexc started on PCNAME
with process ID number but nothing happens on PCNAME.

I tried to run the command without -d parameter, but if i do that the
command hangs the command prompt (and still nothing happens on the
target machine)

This  e-mail  (including any  attachments) is  intended solely  for the
person(s)  to whom  it is  addressed and  contains information which is
confidential and may be  legally privileged. If you are not an intended
recipient or an authorized representative of an intended recipient, you
are  prohibited  from  using,  copying,  reproducing,  distributing  or
otherwise disseminating  the information  contained in  this e-mail and
its  attachments. If  you have  received this  e-mail in  error, please
notify the sender immediately by  return e-mail and destroy the present
message and attachments and any copies thereof. Thank you.