[wpkg-users] Strange behavior of WPKG Client

chiddie claudio.ghirardi at geniaware.com
Mon Dec 19 09:42:45 CET 2011

Falko Trojahn-2 wrote:

> Hello again,
>

>> Ri-hello everybody (i know you hate me from the bottom of your hearts),
> never mind :)

>> Is there a way to try and track the reason why on these machines WPKG
>> Client
>> cannot see that is installed yet (of course i can provide the full debug
>> log
>> if needed)?
> What version of wpkg.js do you use?
>
> Takes the package install place only once, during first start of
> wpkgservice, or every time the machine reboots?
>
> On these certain machines, is there anything different (e.g.
> Home/Premium/... Version)?
>
> Have you got any entries in your eventlog regarding Wpkg client?
>
> I could imagine that on these machines the wpkg service has no rights to
> write wpkg.xml into c:\windows\system32. Is the wpkg.xml file there?
>
> Best regards,
> Falko

I'm using the last WPKG server (1.3) and the last WPKG CLient.

The script is run everytime a machine boots, it's not a "once in a lifetime"
script. I thought it would have not been a problem since WPKG would have
found that the client was already installed and thus skip the installation.

The machines are all Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate x64.

I did not notice on friday, but apparently all the machines with this issue
have this error at startup:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	WSH
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	1
Date:		19/12/2011
Time:		9.00.14
User:		N/A
Computer:	PCNAME
Unable to add result of check to settings: The process cannot access the
file because it is being used by another process.

If it's related to WPKG in some way, this could be an issue: one of the
checks fails instead of being successful and thus the program is
re-installed.

The odd thing is that some machines that did non report the error on friday
(infact on friday the WPKG client has not been reinstalled on that machines)
has the error today and viceversa.

The wpkg.xml file is present on all the machines with the reinstall issue
(and it's compiled withe WPKG Client package details, of course).