[wpkg-users] Relax Win 7 permissions for unprivileged users

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Sat Feb 12 00:21:49 CET 2011

On 2/11/2011 12:59 PM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> you need to specify the inheritance, I think. Try this:
>
> icacls "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Mozilla Firefox" /grant Users:(OI)(CI)F
>
> This way the permissions will be pushed downwards from that folder.
> Otherwise the permissions only apply to the folder and not to the
> underlying objects.

I'll give it a try. I spent a lot of time testing at the command line and found it
pretty frustrating. Thanks.

> But ..., are you really sure you want to do this? You are basically
> allowing them to install anything on the system, they only need to
> specify a folder in that path.

I don't see any way around this for the time being. In addition to the eamples I
mentioned, I have some software packages that try to write their ini files and so
forth into the Program directory. Until those programs are updated (by vendors, not
me), I have to allow user write access to specific directories.

--
Mark Nienberg
Sent from an invalid address. Please reply to the group.