[wpkg-users] Running wpkg.js as System Account

LAPLAUD François laplaud at sdis72.fr
Fri Jan 7 15:50:21 CET 2011

It's not possible in my organization to have every computer running deployment script at startup : too many computers startup at almost the same time. Some packages will be quite big and, as said before, WAN (understand "slow" interco network) links must have a random waiting time because if there are only 4 or 10 computer booting during a 15 minutes delay on a 4Mbits and there are 10 MB or more package deployed to thoses machines, the best way would be for me to not deploy at boot, but later cause as you said, deploying software when users are working won't slow down their computers thanks to its perf.

I think a service would be usefull if it could add features like "agents" usually do ie :
- wake up / force package deployment remotely.
- periodic "ping" to check alive computers
- and best of all, be able to design a "master" computer per subnet storing the whole packages and sharing them with local neighboors to not overload the network.

Anyway, it's just my opinion ;)