[wpkg-users] TQ: Why is the LCID of the installing user used?

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 23:17:45 CEST 2011

Hello,

I just noticed that the getLocale() function retrieves the language setting of the installing user.
Usually this is the SYSTEM user, so this might not have an impact in most environments.

Wouldn't it be better to use the setting of the system?

----

Currently the following value is used:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\Locale, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102978/en-us

----

How about using the following instead?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language\Default or InstallLanguage, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102987/en-us

----

I apologize in advance, if I am beating a dead horse.

---
Stefan