[wpkg-users] Replace xmlhttp download with curl/wget

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Mon Jul 18 15:24:03 CEST 2011

Mandi! Rainer Meier
  In chel di` si favelave...

> So for me there would be only one compromise we could potentially think about:
> Ship WPKG with a download-helper script.

I ''vote'' for this compromise. ;-)

Really: someone insert the <download /> tag, so seems to me a bad idea
to remove it. So:

a) extend a little with a md5="" and/or sha="" tag, totally ignored by
 the internal WSH downloader

b) extend a little wpkg.js to support an external downloader, as an
 option (so, default use the internal)

c) build an (example) external download script; i can do some try on
 the last, but really i've little cmd.exe knowledge...

> >[ Indeed, this have nothing to do with my ''server side download'' script,
> >   using the global /noDownlaod switch on wpkg.js.
> >   Clearly, also my script can be easily extended to use md5 hashes... ]
> Sure, and even when using commands to download files it could be
> globally disabled by simply supporting an environment variable
> NO_DOWNLOAD which makes the script to skip its task and exit with
> code 0 instead (or alternatively still verifying the checksums).

But it is a little harder to ''look at'' download rules with and
external (server side) script; so, please, keep the download tag...

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php