[wpkg-users] TQ: Why is the LCID of the installing user used?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Jul 22 01:31:31 CEST 2011

Hi Stefan,

On 22.07.2011 01:19, Stefan Pendl wrote:
> I just encountered the case, where using the os-lcid would be better.
>
> The x64 Editions of Windows XP and Server 2003 are only available in English and one needs to install the German MUI for instance.
>
> OS utilities like CACLS are in English, but the user settings are German.
> This leads to the problem, that CACLS does not recognize the "Jeder" user, but only the "Everyone" user.
>
> Would it add to much overhead, if an additional host attribute named "lcid-os" is introduced?
>
> This would match the locale setting of the OS, where system utilities get their language settings from.
>
> Sure this is no problem for Vista and above, which recognize the English and localized arguments.
>
> What is your opinion?

I think this is an extremely rare case. Almost nobody uses Windows XP x64 in
production and for Server 2003. Even more it's very simple to work-around this
specific issue by using the os= extended host match.
If I understand correctly then Windows Server 2003 always expects English
arguments. So it's easy to detect Windows 2003 and pass the correct arguments.
Actually Windows Server 2003 would not even require any lcid matching as the
parameters would be always in English as you say.

I typically just call a very simple CMD script which handles such very special
cases. But in this case it seems not even required to do this.

Introducing lcid-os would immediately yield the question again which LCID (host
or user) is used for message display and introduces a lot of potential errors
(what if host LCID is not available, e.g. in different control set...) etc.

What do you say about the proposal to just detect the OS as it seems to
perfectly identify XP x64 and Server 2003 already?