[wpkg-users] WPKG uninstalls unmanaged software?

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Thu Jun 9 11:06:00 CEST 2011

Hello Kevin,

>> Included is the requested information. The log file ends>  abruptly because the antivirus removal reboots the computer.
>   >
>   >  No, this computer has definitely never seen WPKG.
>   >  WPKG client is also not installed.
>   >
>   >  I made a mistake in my problem report. Originally,>  I stated that McAfee was included>  in my profiles "workstation" and "server". That is actually>  not the case.
>   >  I have a package.xml file McAfee, but it is actually>  currently not used in any profile.
>
>> Well, just had a look at the version of wpkg.js you are using: 1.1.1 At http://wpkg.org/Download you find stable version 1.1.2 from Sep. 2009
> - why do you use such an old Wpkg version?
>
> I thought I used 1.1.2 - not sure where the 1.1.1 came from. I'll update that, of course!
>
> I already returned that computer, but will retry it next time.
Fine.

> 2011-06-06 00:17:49, DEBUG   : WPKG 1.1.1 starting...
> 2011-06-06 00:18:01, DEBUG   : Checking existence of package: McAfee ASAP
> 2011-06-06 00:18:01, DEBUG   : Reading variables from package McAfee ASAP
> 2011-06-06 00:18:01, DEBUG   : Uninstall entry for McAfee Virus and
> Spyware Protection Service was found: test successful
> 2011-06-06 00:18:01, DEBUG   : Adding settings node: 'McAfee ASAP'
> (mcafeeasap), Revision 4
> 2011-06-06 00:18:06, DEBUG   : Found installed package 'McAfee ASAP'
> (mcafeeasap).
> 2011-06-06 00:18:06, DEBUG   : Marking package 'McAfee ASAP'
> (mcafeeasap) for remove
> 2011-06-06 00:18:08, DEBUG   : Removing package 'mcafeeasap'.
> 2011-06-06 00:18:08, DEBUG   : Package 'McAfee ASAP' (mcafeeasap): Not
> yet processed during this session.
> 2011-06-06 00:18:08, DEBUG   : Removal of depending packages for 'McAfee
> ASAP' (mcafeeasap) successfully finished.
> 2011-06-06 00:18:08, INFO    : Removing McAfee ASAP (mcafeeasap)...
>

>> Wpkg detects your McAfee package as installed and removes it, since it is not assigned to your host.
>
> The question is: why does wpkg detect it as installed in the first place?
> The whole point of the discussion a while ago was that wpkg
 > supposedly does *not* detect installed programs unless they are
 > listed in wpkg.xml.
Yes, but: at time of this discussion Wpkg was at version 1.1.2 stable.

Nobody asked about which version was used - and wrote about what earlier
Wpkg versions might have done.

>> It would be nice if you could really reproduce the same situation and use wpkg.js from svn.
>
>> But I think, in this situation, Wpkg does the things not so bad:
>
> One can indeed make the case that this behavior is acceptable.
> The problem is more that it contradicts something that was explicitly stated.
No. You did use old Wpkg version - old and new discussions go about
recent Wpkg.

> Worse, it appears that in *some* scenarios, software gets removed,
 > and in others it is left untouched. Nothing worse than inconsistent
behavior
 > in a tool that is supposed to help make your environment more consistent.
Again. Time of discussion was Feb 2010. The behaviour of not touching
versions not installed using Wpkg was at least since 1.1.2 dating Sep 2009.

> Personally, I think that a new feature would be desirable to control this on the profile level.
>
> In profile.xml, the package tag could be enhanced by adding an attribute:
>
> Today:
>
>          <package package-id="openoffice" />
>
> New:
>
>          <package package-id="openoffice" action="XXX" />
>
> Where XXX is:
>
> - install (same as action= attribute omitted): same behavior as today
> - remove (always uninstall if the package already exists, even if it is missing in wpkg.xml)
> - skip (don't install or uninstall regardless of whether it is listed in wpkg.xml)
> - manage (add to wpkg.xml if found, but don't install if it is missing).
> - unmanage (remove from wpkg.xml but do not uninstall)

I don't know if this makes sense - but usually this could break lots of
other things. Perhaps Rainer knows if it is possible at all.

At least "unmanage" is not needed IMHO - if a software is not in package
database AND not assigned in profile, wpkg does this automagically.

"manage" could make sense in scenarios where some software should later
be uninstalled using Wpkg.

If you tried recent Wpkg version in your scenario *and* think that this
is needed, yet, please file a feature request on http://bugzilla.wpkg.org.

>> I've just made a quick test to reproduce your situation:
>
> I think one possible difference between your scenario and mine is that you *had* a wpkg.xml.
> In my case, wpkg.xml didn't exist at all. It should theoretically be the same whether you
> just delete 7zip from the wpkg.xml, or you delete the whole file - but maybe it isn't?
No, IMHO this makes no difference. But it's no problem for me to check this:

- renamed wpkg.xml

- 7zip package is not assigned to the host's profile but installed

- run wpkg (1.1.3-RC6)

-> only packages with "execute=once" or "execute=always" have been
(re)installed, all other packages only stated "already installed".
7zip was not touched in any way.

> Thank you very much for looking into this!
It's a pleasure.

Best regards,
Falko