[wpkg-users] Reflections on a new application deployment software.

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Wed Jun 15 09:31:23 CEST 2011

Olivier LARRIGAUDIERE <wpkg-ml at pub.centaure.info> writes:

> Hello,

> I currently use WPKG on about fifty computers and I am quite satisfied
> but I am missing a few things so that this to be perfect.

[...]

> Thank you for your feedback and sorry for my bad english.

I respond to the top poster to speak on a project called gaspacho[1], I
Cc the main developer to let him correct me. It may be interesting for
everybody involved in this thread.

A rough translation of the overwiew could be:

#v+
Configuring all conputers of a network is boring and difficult, mostly
in an heterogeneous environment with nomad users.

Gaspacho is a Free Software (GNU/GPL v3) permitting to address those
difficulties, offering to the administrator the possibility to manager,
centrally, the configuration of the users work space in a network.

The project was initiated by the french Free Software promotion group in
Côte d’Or[2] COAGUL[3] during the "development days" in 2009-2010.
#v-

The software plan to address the configuration of software, like
firefox, on the workstation, you define your rules centrally bind those
rules to groups of workstation and an agent on the workstations apply
them.

It's developed in python[4] and during some meeting it was suggested to
wrap some wpkg.js call and to let gaspacho generate the WPKG
hosts/profiles/packages form gaspacho rules.

As the agent is intended to be modular and fetch plugins from the
server, we can imagine to develop the wpkg.js functionality in such a
plugin, in python[5], and forget the now abandoned
it-was-nice-to-have-you-anyway cscript.exe.

All this is conditional/futur, the project is promising but need some
forces.

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1]  only in french for now: http://www.gaspacho-project.net/

[2]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B4te-d%27Or

[3]  http://coagul.org/drupal/

[4]  http://gitorious.org/gaspacho/gaspacho-agent/blobs/master/src/README

[5]  Which is much better than JS, as the maintainer of bug118 you can
     believe me ;-)

--
Daniel Dehennin
RAIP de l'Orne