[wpkg-users] WPKG Development Status

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Fri Mar 25 14:41:26 CET 2011

Some Ideas I carry around for a while:

> - Optionally run in system tray and check for updated packages at
> regular intervals. Inform users about updates and prompt them with
> alternatives. (the platform is designed to be able do this)

I really looking forward to this one. I have lots of users who only boot
once a month (on MSPatchWednesday) and hibernate their PCs most of the
time. Also there's a bunch of users who roam around with their notebooks
and primarily use the WLAN - which is typically not started before login.

> - Hopefully be able to install software at shutdown with feedback to
> user (this is not easily achievable AFAIK, as Windows does not have
> an API for giving information to users at shutdown)

You could marry this feature with the prompt. AFAIK there's an API for
Applications to pop up a message on shutdown (like Word with a document
open displays Save, Don't Save, Cancel). You could pop up a dialog as well
(install update, shutdown immediately) via the same API, but (upon
"install update") signal the OS that the shutdown was cancelled and
instead emit a force shutdown once WPKG has finnished.

Alternatively there must be a way for a service to prevent shutdown.
Acronis Backup & Recovery uses this and (at least for that piece of SW)
it's a huge headache -> Our installations of Acronis regularly fall into
endless loops and then Windows 7 stalls at shutdown ("Actions running" is
displayed.....)

some things I'd love to see:
- Ability for the WPKG-Script to start as a different (local) user.
Typically WPKG runs as user SYSTEM - I had lots of problems with
installers barfing when run as SYSTEM - especially on 64bit systems. Our
WPKG-Client runs as a different user now (but still elevated) - no
problems any more and saved me from repackaging quite a few installers.
- Ability to debug somehow. Some processes still make problems and show
dialog windows (mostly errors) when run by a service (but not when run
directly via cmdline). I know this is impossible on pre-login - but for
the second mode (system tray call to service) - it should be possible to
switch to the "installing desktop".

And this is far fetched:
- Security: Ability to sign the wpkg.js executable and have the signature
checked by WPKG-GP before invocation. Of course this only makes sense if
wpkg.js gains the ability to check its files' signatures. This way the
wpkg-fileshare would be a bit more tamperproof.

I have a few more ideas, but those would require enhancing wpkg.js and
being able to interact with a service.

Best Regards & Keep up the great work :)
        Heiko