[wpkg-users] Deploying System in Real-Time

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue May 31 19:57:51 CEST 2011

Hi Dave,

On 31.05.2011 17:06, Dave Goodbourn wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a remote deployment using the below method, but I'm having a
> small problem. My command is being run from a remote machine on the network with
> the following command:
>
> PsExec \\192.168.x.x -u 'username' -p 'password' cscript
> \\192.168.x.x\wpkg\wpkg.js /synchronize /nonotify /quiet
>
> It runs fine, and installs/uninstalls the desired software but doesn't seem to
> be updating the wpkg/xml file so will try and install the software again upon
> another run. Any ideas why it's not updating the xml file? I'm running as an
> administrator.

Are you sure it does not just update the "wrong" wpkg.xml?
Maybe it's running Windows x64 and on Windows x64 there are two cscript.exe
available. If you run cscript from a 32-bit application then
%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cscript.exe is run, if you run it from 64-bit  application
then %SystemRoot%\system32\cscript.exe is run.

Check your system - probably you have %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\wpkg.xml as well as
%SystemRoot%\system32\wpkg.xml existing. This indicates that you run it with
both cscript.exe variants.

Another possibility is of course that you initially did run WPKG with another
user than 'username' which you currently use in psexec. So this process might
simply not have the permissions to update wpkg.xml. One option you could try is
to simply remove wpkg.xml and let WPKG re-create it the next time you run it. If
there is no wpkg.xml created at all, then you might have even another problem -
for example missing environment variables in psexec environment.