[wpkg-users] exclude a package from a profile

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Nov 16 19:27:27 CET 2011

Hi Joe,

On 16.11.2011 15:28, Joe wrote:
> I have a profile with a dozen or so packages. Now I need that same profile
> without one of the packages. It appears there was work on an <exclude> clause
> but it doesn't appear to have been implemented. Is there an easy way to exclude
> a package without copying a whole profile?

There was no work on an exclude function for good reason. We had some discussion
on it and I clearly voted against such a non-feature which is likely to cause a
lot of issues and unexpected results at no added value. You can use profile
dependencies and inclusions to achieve a very similar result. e.g.

<profile id='base'>
	<package package-id="package1" />
	<package package-id="package2" />
</profile>

<profile id='default'>
	<depends profile-id='base' />
	<package package-id="package-default1" />
</profile>

In the upcoming WPKG release you could also "exclude" some packages from a
profile depending on conditions like OS, hostname, IP etc.

<profile id='base'>
	<package package-id="package1" />
	<package package-id="package2">
		<condition>
		  <check type='host' condition="architecture" value="x64"/>
		</condition>
	</package>
</profile>

This will apply "package2" only on hosts running x64 architecture.