[wpkg-users] Firefox homepage question

Peter Gough pmgough at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 05:28:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm in the process of deploying Firefox to our users. I'd like to initially
set their homepage to our organization's homepage but allow them to change
this as they wish.

When I follow the instructions here (
http://wpkg.org/Firefox#Setting_and_Locking_Preferences) and amend the
mozilla.cfg file then the homepage is set as expected. I changed a line in
this file from lockPref... to pref... and was hoping that this would allow
the users to set their homepage but instead the option to set the homepage
is no longer greyed-out but when they change it their change is overwritten
the next time Firefox is restarted.

To test this I've tried granting Full control over the mozilla.cfg file (and
subsequently the entire application folder) but it appears that their
changes are written to their local profile prefs rather than the one
specified in defaults\pref\profile.js which is used at startup.

Any ideas whether what I'm trying to do is possible?

Thanks,

Peter