[wpkg-users] MSI install issues

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Sun Sep 11 02:24:32 CEST 2011

{looks like i used the wrong sender address when i sent this some two days
ago, i hope it won't be duplicated now, basically what others said}

Am Donnerstag, 8. September 2011, 17:48:45 schrieb Shier, Jon:
> That seems to work, why would I need not need to supply that on all of the
> msi files?

AFAIR, it's:
0 - install to current user's profile
1 - install system global
2 - decide depending on whether the current user has admin rights

MOST packages luckily come with a more or less sane default of 2, although I
personally totally oppose the idea of a non-admin user (the account, not the
person) installing software.
Other packages' authors unfortunately think 0 is a good default - or maybe
they just didn't care at all and the package „works“ for the usual single user
box.  Those are the ones you need to tweak.
And then there's the odd package that behaves like a 0, but doesn't honour the
ALLUSERS property at all.  That's where Orca or InstEd come to help.

Regards,
Malte

PS:  <rant>It's a total mess, just have a look at SYSTEM's profile
(%SystemRoot%\system32\config\systemprofile) on a box running WPKGClient or
WPKG-GP.  All kinds of broken installers place all kinds rubbish there. IMHO
there should be a system wide option for ALLUSERS and other more or less
universal properties and installers should be denied write access to
%USERPROFILE% unless ALLUSERS is explicitly set to 0.  And while at it, just
ban those useless desktop and tray icons for programs that are only ever
opened via they're associated documents.  Cluttering unsuspecting users'
screen estate should be a criminal offence.</rant>