[wpkg-users] [consulting at kaply.com: [Mozilla Enterprise] MAJOR Change Setting Default Preferences for Firefox 14]

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri Aug 3 09:12:41 CEST 2012

>From Mozilla Enterprise mailing lists.

I've not tested (i'm still on 10ESR), but... FYI.

----- Forwarded message from Kaply Consulting <consulting at kaply.com> -----
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 13:07:03 -0500
From: Kaply Consulting <consulting at kaply.com>
To: Enterprise at mozilla.org
Subject: [Mozilla Enterprise] MAJOR Change Setting Default Preferences for Firefox 14

In case people didn't see this on my blog:

If you are running into problems with Firefox 14 not honoring values
in you set the default preferences, it's because Firefox preference
files have moved from defaults/pref to defaults/preferences and your
files have to move as well. (See bug 779437.)

Apparently custom changes to the default preferences were supposed to
be there all along, but no one actually knew that (not even Firefox).

So when you are creating JS files for your autoconfig settings or to
set the various add-on scopes values, make sure they are in
defaults/preferences. (You'll have to create this directory.) Note
that this method works fine on Firefox 10 as well. I'll be updating
all my posts as I have time.

On a separate note, the CCK is broke on Firefox 14 - it's not creating
bookmarks properly. I've tracked the problem down to a Places change,
but at this point I am unable to work around it. I've contacted the
developer that made the change that broke me, but I haven't heard
back. Hopefully he'll be able to point me in the right direction.

I can't stress this enough. PLEASE test on Aurora and Beta if you have
the bandwidth to do so. These Firefox 14 issuse should not have been
found after Firefox 14 was released. And yes, I'll admit that I've
been failing in my testing as well, but to be blunt, I'm not paid for
any of the time I spend on enterprise, so it's not one of my top
priorities.

--
Mike Kaply
Kaply Consulting (http://consulting.kaply.com)