[wpkg-users] Autodesk Suite forks another install process; exits 256

Geoff Brown geoffrey at sfu.ca
Thu Aug 2 22:19:29 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I've got a fairly large "suite" installer for the Autodesk Ed Suite 2012 (maya, softimage, 3ds max, etc, etc). They have very good documentation on making silent installers for the suite, and it installs just fine. Basically you run their setup.exe and pass it an .ini for the install. Ultimately it calls a wackload of MSI. The suite installer finishes with exit code 256 (not an error) and the series of MSI then run their course. The problem is this takes a rather long time to complete (20 to 35 minutes, it's a lot of media). Subsequent MSI fail because installs are still taking place!

I was thinking of using the simple method of a very long ping, but this is a hack...

Would anyone have any ideas for me to stall subsequent installs until the Autodesk suite is completed?

Thanks.

PS. WPKG is freakin' awesome.

---
Geoff Brown