[wpkg-users] wpkg for crapware removal?

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Fri Dec 14 10:48:29 CET 2012

> So usually for me it takes longer to clean the machines (and still
> living with
> the risk that manufacturer changed some Windows settings which I don't
know
> about) than re-installing them from scratch; knowing to have a clean
system
> then. Using unattended Windows setup and WPKG a machine can be
automatically
> deployed within less than 1 hour usually.

For our (small and diverse) deployment I didn't bother about unattended
installs (or images). We just buy the machines without the crapware. WPKG
then removes in a first step (as execute=once) the few packages that are
not necessarily crapware, but unwanted (java-plugin) - and as execute-once
because it might be needed later (and reinstalled/updated anyway).

> Cleaning a crapware-system usually
> takes me longer manual actions and creating/maintaining a very-detailed
> crapware-remover tool would require me to adapt it continuously.

Right - but there are tools for that readily available - I just don't know
if those are automatable.
A quick web search brought this example: http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

> Jon actually had slightly different requirement. He's willing to
"blacklist"
> some known crapware and assure it's removed automatically whenever it's
> installed on the client (after deployment). At least this was my
> understanding.
> So here an execute="always" package might help. The package will have to

> identify every kind of undesired software and remove it silently on
> every WPKG run.

I'd suggest using a normal package and using "uninstall" checks with a
logical "not" - so the package commands only fire if the crap is there and
will re-fire everytime the crap reappears.

Best Regards
        Heiko