[wpkg-users] Package to do an uninstall?

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Tue Feb 7 19:59:29 CET 2012

I have a situation where, due to a variety of attempts to get Adobe
Reader up to date, some computers have 10.0.0, some 10.1.0, and some
10.1.1. Some were installed via wpkg, and others through Active
Directory Group Policies. I now want to install 10.1.2 - but I want to
turn off automatic updates. The management tool to customize it for
this also turns off "uninstall previous versions", and the new version
refuses to install if an older one is present.

My question - can I create a package, or set of packages, to test for
the presence of any of the older versions and run the appropriate msi
to uninstall them?

<check type=file condition=versionequalto ... >

would seem to identify the offending version - how do I negate the
action so it only uninstalls if successful, rather than the usual
action of only installing if unsuccessful?

I don't want to blindly try uninstalling, because that copies each msi
in turn, and due to the 45MB size and the limitations of wireless
networks, would cause far too much network traffic and disruption.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/