[wpkg-users] Best way to remove pre-installed software

Mi mi.lists.wpkg at alma.ch
Wed Feb 8 13:03:09 CET 2012

I'm trying to find the best way to configure a package that would only remove software which was installed without wpkg (mostly junk pre-installed by the manufacturer).

I read somewhere that I could just define a package with a remove command, and it would be removed because the package would not be in any profile. However, that didn't work.

Then I thought I could "install" a "remove-junk" package. But that would require negative checks, which I don't think are supported. Something like this:

<check type="uninstall" condition="DOES_NOT_exists" path="Junk 2.0" />
<install cmd="%software%\UNINSTALL-junk.cmd" />

However, I don't think there is a "not_exists" condition, or any other way to negate a check.

Of course, I could actually install the junk, wait for all machines to realize they have it installed through wpkg, then remove it. But there must be a better way, and I suppose I'm not the only one with this problem.

So, how do you deal with such situations? Did I just overlook something obvious?

Thanks,

MI