[wpkg-users] WPKG + Wireless Laptops

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Fri Feb 3 15:08:54 CET 2012

> i have been hoping I could use wpkg, running as a service, to allow
> deployment during lessons. Using AD deployment simply prevents the
> lesson from starting. (I only have one day every 3 weeks in each
> school, so doing it out of normal hours is generally not possible.)
> However the issues described above are making me think it still isn't
> going to work.

WPKG is just a simple script. You can easily define a scheduled task that
runs it. There's no need to use WPKGClient or WPKG-GP.

But beware that if you run WPKG with the task manager while users are
logged in, you must write your install scripts carefully.

- Do not reboot while users are logged in    -> bad karma
- Do check if the package you are upgrading/replacing/deleting is
currently running because
        -> the MSI will request a reboot (RC 3010)
        -> the software might fail in unexpected fails if the user doesn't
reboot

For your use case it might be useful to schedule WPKG at shutdown or user
logoff. You can configure this via group policy - so your classes can
start working immediately and the PCs will be busy after class.

Best Regards
        Heiko