[wpkg-users] WPKG + Wireless Laptops

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Fri Feb 3 20:17:03 CET 2012

In message <4F2BF134.2060909 at pyther.net>
          Matthew Gyurgyik <pyther at pyther.net> wrote:

> On 02/02/2012 04:10 AM, Malte Starostik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> now on topic :)
>> Same here, our (admittedly few) laptops are configured for EAP-TLS
>> auth with a
>> machine specific certificate, not user specific.  WPKG is run by
>> WPKG-gp and this
>> works nicely.  Sure it takes somewhat longer than for the wired clients but
>> that's just the price you pay for mobility IMHO.
>> If the laptop is out of our WLAN's range, it obviously doesn't connect and
>> WPKG-gp skips the whole process.  Same if its associated with a
>> different WLAN.
>> Maybe a VPN could do in such cases.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Malte
> This helps a lot, Unfortunately we are using WPA with a PSK at the
> moment. I'm not sure if we get connected, before the login screen
> appears. I'm assuming WPKG-gp runs prior to system login, correct? I do
> know we have cases where users have to wait a bit (~15/~30 sec) before
> logging in for the wireless connection to be established.

i don't think it depends on the wireless setting, but something within
Windows.

Running XP home edition, the wireless doesn't start until after the
user has logged in. Running XP Pro as a domain member, the wireless
starts first so the domain controller can be contacted. I would not be
surprised if there is a registry setting to change this behaviour on
the home/workgroup model. I just haven't found it yet.

Incidentally, when using AD to manage computers there is a setting
"always wait for the network" which is useful. It doesn't affect the
wireless connection, but does ensure that changes to group policy are
picked up at the first startup after they have been made, instead of
(frequently) needing two or more restarts. It's in, if I remember
correctly, computers-policies-system-login.