[wpkg-users] Installs with /debug but not with client or standard /synchronize

Michael MacKay dmmackay at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 03:16:45 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Michael MacKay <dmmackay at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Stefan Pendl <stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Am 08.01.2012 13:14, schrieb Rainer Meier:
>>

>>> If WPKG executes all desired upgrade and remove commands correctly, then
>>> it's usually an issue which has to be solved by fixing up the packages.
>>> As you indicate that sometimes some commands seem to continue "after the
>>> client progress bar goes away" (I guess you're referring to logon delay
>>> of WPKG-client on Windows XP) this indicates that some of your commands
>>> might fork and continue to run in background while returning to WPKG too
>>> quickly. So you might have to add additional waits (e.g. insert commands
>>> like 'ping -n 10 localhost") or do more intelligent checking to wait for
>>> the command to complete before letting WPKG continue.
>>>
>>> The VLC uninstaller is a very good example of bad practice, here I need
>>> to use such a similar loop to wait for the uninstaller to complete its
>>> job:
>>>

>> The NSIS installers are known to fork a second process, which runs a copy
>> of the installer from the TEMP folder.
>>
>> The template for the NSIS installer shipping with WPKG includes the
>> solution to this problem.
>>
>> As Rainer says, if you need detailed help we need detailed information
>> and the debug logs are a good place to start with.
>>
>> A brief description of your problem will only result in a guessing game
>> ;-)
>>
>> BTW, I have never encountered such a strange behavior with any of the
>> WPKG releases I have used.
>>

>> --
>> Stefan P.
>>
>> Top-posting:
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>> A: Top-posting.
>> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>>

> I think I have this figured out based on your responses.  These packages
> are actually all part of one piece of software and I had them all ranked as
> the same priority.  I assumed that they would still run one after the other
> but they would all run before moving onto the next piece of software, I
> think they would all start, and one one of them finished, it would move on.
> I have since change them to have individual priority numbers and all seems
> to be working as expected. It makes sense now that I think it through.
>
> Thanks for the help, and I will ensure to attach logs next time.
> Mike

Ok. so I am still having a problem here...

It runs ok now when I run wpkg.js via cmd.  But when running with either
WPKG client or wpkg-gp, it will install my apps, but not remove the three.
I have turned logging on in WPKG but this gives minimal information. I have
set the execute=always flag just to make sure it wasn't thinking it was
successful but still no luck.

I am attaching one of the packages that won't 'install' (remove the
software), as well as the log from the client.
If there is some other way to log more details from the client let me know.
As mentioned, when running without the client it works so debug isn't very
helpful.

Thanks again,
Mike