[wpkg-users] OT good free (cross platform? open sourced?) XML editor that checks xsd schema online?

Urs Rau (UK) urs.rau at om.org
Wed Jan 18 13:54:07 CET 2012

Hi Stefan,

That was great news. I am now making a little progress. But have some further questions to clarify things.

On 18 Jan 2012, at 10:52, Stefan Pendl wrote:

> Am 18.01.2012 11:42, schrieb Urs Rau (UK):
>> Sorry for this very much wpkg project related but nevertheless probably
>> slightly Off Topic question.
>>
>> What free (open sourced ? / or even cross platform? ) XML Editor that
>> actually checks the XSD schema files are you guys using?
>> Now that we have xsd files for wpkg it would seem sensible to use an XML
>> Editor that makes good use of it?
>>
>> Does anyone know if it can be added to Notepad++ , somehow?
>>

> You can utilize XSD files using the XML-Tools add-on for Notepad++.
>
> You need to change the name-space to something like:
>
> <packages:packages xmlns:packages="http://www.wpkg.org/packages"
> xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/wpkg"
>         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../xsd/packages.xsd" >
>
> The XML-Tools don't recognize the name-space without the
> "xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation" property.

Thanks that worked for me for the packages xml file and when I did the hosts.xml file I came up with the following.
<hosts:wpkg
        xmlns:hosts="http://www.wpkg.org/hosts"
        xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/wpkg"
        xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/hosts xsd/hosts.xsd"
        xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./xsd/hosts.xsd" >

</hosts:wpkg>

Is that actually correct? I tried following the "pattern" you had given me for the packages file and startign it off with <config:config>, but that resulted in a valiadation error:
Validation of current file using XML schema:

ERROR: Element '{http://www.wpkg.org/hosts}hosts': No matching global declaration available for the validation root.

I don't quite understand why some of the files are starting off as <packages:packages> and others are  <hosts:wpkg>

So when I tried "making up" the correct naming for the wpkg config.xml file I had to remove or change what was already there <config:wpkg> to <config:config>. Was that correct? Or should that one have stayed as <config:wpkg>?

So my entries that allow me to save currently are:

<profiles:profiles
        xmlns:profiles="http://www.wpkg.org/profiles"
        xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/wpkg"
        xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/profiles xsd/profiles.xsd"
        xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./xsd/profiles.xsd">

</packages:packages>

<hosts:wpkg
        xmlns:hosts="http://www.wpkg.org/hosts"
        xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/wpkg"
        xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/hosts xsd/hosts.xsd"
        xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./xsd/hosts.xsd" >

</hosts:wpkg>

<config:config
        xmlns:config="http://www.wpkg.org/config"
        xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/wpkg"
        xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/config xsd/config.xsd"
        xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./xsd/config.xsd">

</config:config>

        xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/packages xsd/packages.xsd"
        xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./xsd/packages.xsd" >

</packages:packages>

I also noticed that at least a couple of the xml files had a trailing space inside the quote on the xsi:SchemaLocation line as in

xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/profiles xsd/profiles.xsd " not sure it has any ill-effect, but I removed tjhose as well. can somebody with source access remove those tariling spaces?

Thanks for any help with this.

--
Urs Rau

  Operation Mobilisation (OM) - a company limited by guarantee - The Quinta, Weston Rhyn, Oswestry, SY10 7LT, United Kingdom
  Company reg no: 2564320 (England & Wales) - Charity reg. no: 1008196 (England & Wales) - SC040988 (Scotland)
  Web: http://www.uk.om.org