[wpkg-users] OT good free (cross platform? open sourced?) XML editor that checks xsd schema online?

Urs Rau (UK) urs.rau at om.org
Thu Jan 19 00:24:46 CET 2012

Hi Stefan,

On 18 Jan 2012, at 22:00, Stefan Pendl wrote:

> Am 18.01.2012 13:54, schrieb Urs Rau (UK):
>>
>> So my entries that allow me to save currently are:
>>
>> <profiles:profiles
>>         xmlns:profiles="http://www.wpkg.org/profiles"
>>         xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/wpkg"
>>         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>>         xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/profiles xsd/profiles.xsd"
>>         xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./xsd/profiles.xsd">
>>
>> </profiles:profiles>
>>
>> <hosts:wpkg
>>         xmlns:hosts="http://www.wpkg.org/hosts"
>>         xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/wpkg"
>>         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>>         xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/hosts xsd/hosts.xsd"
>>         xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./xsd/hosts.xsd">
>>
>> </hosts:wpkg>
>>
>> <config:config
>>         xmlns:config="http://www.wpkg.org/config"
>>         xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/wpkg"
>>         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>>         xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/config xsd/config.xsd"
>>         xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./xsd/config.xsd">
>>
>> </config:config>
>>
>> <packages:packages
>>         xmlns:packages="http://www.wpkg.org/packages"
>>         xmlns:wpkg="http://www.wpkg.org/wpkg"
>>     xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>>         xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/packages xsd/packages.xsd"
>>         xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./xsd/packages.xsd">
>>
>> </packages:packages>
>>

> Remove the "xsi:schemaLocation" attribute from all name-spaces and you
> are fine. XML-Tools for Notepad++ doesn't like them :-(
>

>> I also noticed that at least a couple of the xml files had a trailing space inside the quote on the xsi:SchemaLocation line as in
>>
>> xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/profiles xsd/profiles.xsd " not sure it has any ill-effect, but I removed tjhose as well. can somebody with source access remove those tariling spaces?
>>

> The space is correct, since the first part is the web location and the
> second is the local location.

No I figured/guessed that about the space between "profiles xsd/profiles.xsd", but I am talking about the ending trailing space before the closing double quote, is that one really correct too? there is a trailing space at end that still looks wrong to me in profiles.xml and hosts.xml config files.

xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/profiles xsd/profiles.xsd ">
                                                                ^^^^

xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.wpkg.org/hosts xsd/hosts.xsd ">
                                                          ^^^^

> There is a bug report, which includes all the information about the
> name-space trouble, just check it out ;-)

maybe it was the above ending traling space that n++ did not like?

Stefan I think you might have misunderstood my question about why the hosts.xml file validation starts with <hosts:wpkg> and not with <hosts:hosts> ? BTW removing the xsi schemalocation lines makes no difference at all in allowing me to save the hosts.xml file with <hosts:hosts> I can only save it as <hosts:wpkg> why is that so with that particular file whilst all other files seem to repeat the xml file name as in <profiles:profiles> <packages:packages> etc. What is the logic behind that?

Thanks for taking the time to explain to somebody tat is trying to understand things.

--
Urs Rau

  Operation Mobilisation (OM) - a company limited by guarantee - The Quinta, Weston Rhyn, Oswestry, SY10 7LT, United Kingdom
  Company reg no: 2564320 (England & Wales) - Charity reg. no: 1008196 (England & Wales) - SC040988 (Scotland)
  Web: http://www.uk.om.org