[wpkg-users] Setting a variable in a profile doesnt over-rides that set in a package

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Jan 26 22:47:53 CET 2012

Hi Stefan,

On 26.01.2012 22:29, Stefan Pendl wrote:
> With this change, this user is now facing the same problem, but in the opposite
> way.

We have already two users facing the issue of changed variable expansion order:
- Ronny
- Kalyniak Oleksandr

Both are likely not facing the same issue in opposite order as they are using
existing packages. Moreover the current implementation allows to prevent
overriding by conditions.

> Wouldn't it be possible to control the overwrite order by a configuration option?

No, this does not really make sense to me. Especially you as a tester should
agree to since such an option requires simply to double the test cases - testing
in both ways. Moreover from my point of view it's useless to provide to ways of
doing the same thing. In both expansion orders it's possible to prevent overriding.
In addition such a switch would always affect whole WPKG behavior. So you might
have packages where one way is better and other packages where you want to
achieve the opposite. So I think it makes much more sense just to define the way
it is evaluated and then document how to implement both options.