[wpkg-users] Multiple programs depend on fast-iterating package

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Thu May 31 19:31:13 CEST 2012

Hello Neil,

Am Donnerstag, 31. Mai 2012, 16:57:12 schrieb neilr8133:
> Good [morning|afternoon|evening],
>
> I've been scratching my head over this and would appreciate some feedback:
>

> I have PROG1, PROG2, PROG3 that depend on Java being installed first.  I
> currently have package  "java_jre7u3"  so my first reaction is to have
> Prog1-3 use  <depend package-id="java_jre7u3" />  However, that would cause
> problems as soon as Java iterates:

Unless you have a very specific reason to keep the version in java's package
name, why not just name it simply "java" - or maybe "java7" if you have
multiple major versions around?
Then you can put the version into the java package's revision, copy or include
the install command(s) to also apply on upgrade, packages can simply depend on
"java" and you're all set.

e.g. <package id="java" name="Java Runtime Environment" revision="1.7.3">
<!-- ... -->
<commands>
  <command type="install" cmd="..."/>

  <command type="upgrade" include="install"/>
</commands>
</package>

<package id="java-app-1" ...>
  <depends package-id="java"/>
</package>

When there's a new Java version, you just bump the revision number and update
the commands accordingly, but the dependency graph remains untouched.

Regards,
Malte