[wpkg-users] RFC: WMI checks

Malte Starostik lists at malte.homeip.net
Tue Oct 9 14:14:38 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm currently preparing a migration from XP/2003 to Windows 7/2008 R2 and one
thing that affects Windows Updates is that there is no longer a simple
registry check available as in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\...

I've hacked together a very basic implementation of a new check type "wmi"
that allows to query (surprise) WMI objects as a basis for package checks.

What currently works is an "exists" check that interprets the check's "path"
attribute as an object path and checks whether such an instance exists.

Example usage:
 <check type="wmi" condition="exists"
path="Win32_QuickFixEngineering.HotFixID='KB976902',ServicePackInEffect=''"/>

One obvious enhancement would be to a "condition" that allows for "path" to
contain a complete WQL query.  But before considering this further and what
combinations of condition/path/value would make sense, I'd like to check if
there is any interest in this at all and if it has a chance to make it into
WPKG.

I'm aware that execute checks with wmic or custom scripts can be used here,
but such an approach would come with a very high performance penalty when it's
trivial to run the check right from WPKG.

Regards,
Malte