[wpkg-users] packages not installing/upgrading

Carlos R. Pasqualini pasqualinic at fcal.uner.edu.ar
Wed Sep 12 19:43:44 CEST 2012

El mar, 11-09-2012 a las 12:28 +1000, Patrick CAHILL escribió:
> Carlos,
> yes but you have to remember that the Check has what is currently
> installed on the Client on the Left of the GreaterThanorEqual and
> whats packaged on the Server on the Right.
>

> If  [Currently_Installed_on_Client]  Is  [GreaterThanOrEqual]
> To  [Package_on_Server]  Then  [Upgrade]
> If  [3.5.1]  is  GreaterThanOrEqual  To  [3.6.1]  Then  [Upgrade]
> So 3.5.1 has to be Larger or Equal to 3.6.1 for the Upgrade to occur,
> this will never happen, 3.5 is never bigger than 3.6 (which you will
> note is why the check system never checks the final .1 in your log, it
> stops after .5 >= .6)
>

> As far as I can tell, GreaterThanOrEqual should be used to "Upgrade"
> to a lower version, a Downgrade if you will.
>

> Imagine if you have 3.6.1 installed but it has some bad problem on
> your systems, you could create a package with the check...
> If  [3.6.1]  is  GreaterThanOrEqual  To  [3.5.1]  Then  [Upgrade]
> This will Upgrade to the lower version.
>

> Typically you want to upgrade to a higher version, so you should use
> LessThan or LessThanOrEqual
> If  [Currently_Installed_on_Client]  Is  [LessThan]  [Package_on_Server]  Then  [Upgrade]
> If  [3.5.1]  is  LessThan  [3.6.1]  Then  [Upgrade]
>

> I hope this helps (and that it is correct) ;)
>

> -Pat Cahill
>

> On 11/09/12, "Carlos R. Pasqualini" <pasqualinic at fcal.uner.edu.ar>
> wrote:
> > El mar, 11-09-2012 a las 09:32 +1000, Patrick CAHILL escribió:
> > > Carlos,
> > > can you try something for me?
> > > In your LibreOffice Upgrade definition, replace
> > > 'versiongreaterorequal' with 'versionsmallerthan'
> > >

> > > The way I read the documentation is...
> > >

> > > IF [the_version_installed] IS [condition] [the_version_packaged]
> > > THEN install/upgrade
> > >

> > > So your error is actually logically correct.
> > > If [3.5] is [Greater Than or Equal To] [3.6] then Upgrade
> > >

> > > Your return code is -1 which in a tri-state (less, equal, greater)
> > > like this is usually lessthan, which is correct.
> > > (A less than B = -1, A equal B = 0, A greater than B = 1)
> > >

> > > The reason I say use ''versionsmallerthan' rather than
> > > 'versionlessorequal' is that I think you only want to upgrade if
> > the
> > > version installed is smaller, if its the same as is in the package
> > > then you dont want to install again.
> > >

> > > Even if I am wrong, its only a quick one word change.
> > >

> > I will give it a try tomorrow, but that doesn't have any sense; we
> > are
> > talking about the 'check' condition, it is supposed to check if the
> > package is already installed/upgraded and not if WPKG needs to do
> > some
> > work...
> >
> > See http://wpkg.org/Packages.xml#Check_conditions_.2F_check_type
> > says:
> >
> > ---
> > Of course it would be unwise to launch the installer if the software
> [...]

Dear Pat

i really thank you for taking time to answer other user's questions, but
i think you are really wrong.

I will insist, the check is to see if the installed version complies
with the package's requirements.

As I understand the <check /> does not have any inference in the
decision of upgrading or downgrading a package.

I would like to have some other users to give her thoughts on this.

Best Regards