[wpkg-users] packages not installing/upgrading

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 07:42:14 CEST 2012

Am 12.09.2012 22:07, schrieb Carlos R. Pasqualini:

>> What does the number after the hyphen mean in your version number?
>>
>> x.y.z-a ... what means "a"?
>
> i reserve the last value for reviews of the .xml file with the same
> version of the installer.
>
> suppose i have a 1.2.3 version of the package, i'll create a 1.2.3-0
> revision of the xml, and if i found something wrong in the XML file, i
> can create 1.2.3-1 ... 1.2.3-9 without having trouble with the possibly
> upcoming version 1.2.4 of the package.
>
> It's just used by me.
>
> ¿do you think it's bad to do that?

I have done so in the past too, but am now adding the additional version
part with a dot, since the hyphen gave me some unexpected results.

>> In general this should be solvable by using:
>>       <downgrade include="remove"/>
>>       <downgrade include="install"/>
>>

> i this particular case, i do not need to execute remove before install,
> because i'am not really downgrading, i'm upgrading but WPKG thinks i'm
> downgrading, apparently there was an error in a previous version of the
> xml file (i'm trying to understand what have happened).

Can you post the package as it is contained in the file
"%SystemRoot%\System32\wpkg.xml" on the failing system and how it is now
defined on the server?

If we compare those two we can better see what is going on, since that
is the thing WPKG.js compares too.

> By the way, i have no way to know all the remove commands for every
> package's version; as i understand, i cannot use the remove command of
> other version of the XML package because it will call the remove section
> of the current version of the XML package, not the remove section of the
> installed version of the package; to call the remove section of the
> installed package, i need to remove the package from the profile.

Generally I use the MSI file for remove too, since I really don't like
and need to bother with the application IDs.
I don't know why users spend so much time on finding out the application
IDs, when there is a simpler solution.

Nowadays MSI files are able to remove older versions of the software too.

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting: