[wpkg-users] Installing an .exe from a remote server

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Wed Feb 13 09:02:45 CET 2013

> What about .exe? Does anyone have experience with installing .exe from a
> remote server? what is the "install cmd" to install a .exe from a remote
> server?

I'm doing this for quite some time - I'm using a local installed version
of curl to fetch the exe to a known location and run it from there. You
can't run an executable from a http-location like you can from a
SMB-Share.

see for example this snippet:

        <variable name="URL" value="
http://xxx/editor/notepadpp/npp.%version%.Installer.exe" />
        <variable name="target" value="%TEMP%\npp-install.exe" />

        <install cmd='"%TOOLDIR%\curl.exe" -f -s -o "%target%" "%url%"'/>
        <install cmd='TASKKILL /F /IM "notepad++.exe"'>
                <exit code='128'/>
        </install>
        <install cmd='"%target%" /S' />

        <install cmd='"%COMSPEC%" /C del "%target%"'/>

also I think recent wpkg releases include an external download script that
you could use which includes checksumming the download.

and there's the <download> tag but it's buggy (no fault of WPKG - it's an
awkward workaround around WSH deficiencies)