[wpkg-users] installshield exe install fails

Paul McGrath J.P.McGrath at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jun 21 16:35:05 CEST 2013

Hi Antony,

My usual process for Installshield is as follows:

1.  Use Uniextract to extract the Disk1 folder containing the installshield setup.exe with associated cab files.
2.  Record the setup.iss file using setup.exe -r NOTE this file is created in C:\Windows so move it from there to your install source folder.
3.  Make two copies e.g. setup32.iss and setup64.iss for XP/Win764.  Edit each setup??.iss to change the value of szDir= one for "program files" and another for "program files (x86)"
4.  Record another setup.iss this time for uninstallation.  This is done by finding the UID folder usually
    located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information" and running setup.exe -r (again).
    The new setup.iss file is again located in c:\windows  rename it to uninst.iss and put in your source folder
5.  Edit the setup.ini and add switches to the value cmdline=/s /v/qn
6.  Now reference the following for sequencing your app
    installation:
    For XP or Win7 32bit
    %SOFTWARE%\MYAPP\setup.exe /s /f1%SOFTWARE%\MYAPP\setup32.iss /f2c:\netinst\MYAPP.log
    For Windows 7 64bit
    %SOFTWARE%\MYAPP\setup.exe /s /f1%SOFTWARE%\MYAPP\setup64.iss /f2c:\netinst\MYAPP.log
    uninstallation:
    For XP or Win7 32bit
    RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\11\00\Intel32\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{MYAPPUID}\setup.exe" /s /f1c:\localfolder\uninst.iss
    For Windows 7 64bit
    RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\11\00\Intel32\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\{MYAPPUID}\setup.exe" /s /f1c:\localfolder\uninst.iss

You will see from my notes above that you can log the install with /f2
This is my line for software called Articulate

If you do extract the large .exe and fine a MSI then you can use ORCA to create a transform with ISSSETUPDRIVEN=1 under the Property table which will allow you to run the .MSI without setup.exe.  Note this doesn't always work.  I recommend making a transform instead of editing the original MSI.

Hope this helps
Paul