[wpkg-users] chain/depend strangeness...

Stefan Pendl stefan.pendl.71 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 23:39:40 CEST 2013

Am 28.06.2013 03:05, schrieb Carlos R. Pasqualini:
> El vie, 28-06-2013 a las 00:08 +0200, Stefan Pendl escribió:

>>> I have defined libreoffice in the other way, using an include:
>>>
>>> <package id="libreoffice" ...
>>> 	<depends package-id="java7" />
>>> 	<include package-id="libreoffice-help" />
>>>
>>> </package>
>>> <package id="libreoffice-help" ...
>>> 	<depends package-id="libreoffice" />
>>> </package>
>>>

>> If the help depends on the base package, then you only need to add the
>> help to the profile.
>>
>> If the help is "chained" by the base package, the you only need to add
>> the base package to the profile.
>>
>> There is no need to use include/chain and depend in both packages.
>>
>> Chain is a reverse depend, but the chained package is installed
>> immediately after the first package.
>>

>> -
>
> i have the depend to make sure to not have installed the help package
> without the base package.
>
> it is just a second way if something goes wrong
>
> do it produces an error??

Chain is already an "include with depends", so no need to do it twice.

If it doesn't throw an error, it doesn't mean that it is good practice.

Chain will make sure that the chained package is installed directly
after the one containing the chain.

Keep the CHAIN, but remove the DEPENDS and you are save.

Always keep packages as simple as possible, the more you add, the higher
the possibility to get into trouble.

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting: