[wpkg-users] Global max execution time hardcoded?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Mar 26 16:39:57 CET 2013

Hi Nicolas,

On 26.03.2013 13:23, Nicolas BRICHE wrote:
> However, users (including sysadmins) need not be overwhelmed by their
> configuration file(s).

They should indeed not. But I've seen too many messed up configuration files in
my IT career to understand that even best sysadmins are not masters of the
known-universe and they do mistakes. Giving more options to them increases the
probability to do something wrong.

> There could be a default, complete configuration file on one side, not (usually)
> modified by the user (global-settings.xml?).  Then there would be the user's
> settings file, which is there to override any value present in
> global-settings.xml, on a need-only basis.

Also this I think is not required. In fact config.xml is basically options. WPKG
will work with defaults if values are not defined there. In fact if you look at
stock config.xml almost everything is commented and I strongly recommend just to
leave it as it is unless you derive from the defaults.

You can also safely keep your old config.xml on upgrade unless you want to
derive from defaults in newly introduced features.

So no need for global-settings.xml since global-settings.xml is actually emtpy
(or let's say it's hard-coded in wpgk.js).

> That way, you get the needed flexibility without flooding your local settings.

Feel free to use an empty config.xml.

> I think that's the standard way of doing settings management for large numbers
> of values.  Of course, usually the defaults are generated at runtime then are
> superseded when the settings file is read and everything is kept memory-only.
> But I think in this case, having a separate global settings file would be easier
> to maintain.

No need to maintain global default settings in two locations
(global-settings.xml and wpkg.js). If a global settings file is anyway not
intended to be modified by users then it's pretty useless to maintain it.

The included config.xml is a sample. Feel free to take it as a template and just
remove every comment/parameter you don't want to modify according to your wishes.