[wpkg-users] Software Updates

Falko Trojahn wpkg at trojahn.de
Thu Sep 19 21:12:41 CEST 2013

Hello Jon,

> Has anyone written anything that updates the software packages that
> you want to distribute? Seems like I have to manually check weekly if
> new software has come out. What do you guys do? I see someone wrote an
> updater for chrome. I have something similar for ccleaner, but would
> be nice if there was something that could read your packages and the
> check to see if they are up-to-date.

there's no automatic updater for downloading the software itself, but I
have a solution to get a report and some information every time when
newer version of used program(s) is available. So I don't need to
check the download sites myself.

We use GLPI and FusionInventory for our network. We've written an "update
check" plugin for Glpi which does it's work for some months now.

- usage report - which workstation has old version installed

- automatic job - checks hourly for newer version numbers using
   updatestar.com,  heise software or other catalogs (extendable using
php class),

- sends mail + report with new version number

- link to download page

further example here:
http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users/2013-February/009216.html

Best regards,