[wpkg-users] WPKG for remote / offline clients (who are never local)

Marco schmidt at fgcz.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 4 18:26:32 CEST 2014

Okay, this makes it a bit more clear to me.

I will try to give my ideas ...

I would use a "custom script" which does the copy. If you are flexible
on the server side, use "rsync", which does it in a secure and reliable
way. This is "straight forward".

If security is not an issue, another easy way would be to use
"bittorrentsync", which could have some advantages depending on your
needs. This is really a good tool for syncing directories, even with
huge amounts of data. It uses checksums to make sure the files are
correct. This would do the sync always in the background independent of
a "custom script".

With one of these your first two issues should be done.

Your point 3 is already solved in the wpkg client. It is anyway started
as a service on system startup.

There are already some mechanisms in wpkg.js that help you:
1. revisions of wpkg-packages
If you first sync all the "install packages" and only if they are all
copied over correctly, you sync the wpkg-package-xml files, which have
new revision information for all the packages you want to update. If the
"install package" sync failes, the wpkg.js will not do any updates,
because the wpkg-package-xml files have the revisions of the already
installed software.
Or more sophisticated, if you have an wpkg-package-xml-file per
software, you can sync the software-install-package and afterwards the
corresponding wpkg-package-xml-file

Example:
first copy the "flash-install.msi" and afterwards copy the
"flash-install.xml"
wpkg.js will only try to install flash-install.msi, if the revision in
"flash-install.xml" has increased.

2. If a install/upgrade failes, it is tried again on next start.
Even if a installer is missing or not synced completely or whatever
happens, wpkg.js will try to install it again.
Nothing to do here. WPKG takes care. Worst case would be, if a xml is
not okay. It happens on my side, that a broken xml broke the wpkg-database.

Your point number 3 is the easiest for me, because I did this already :-)
I use the "execute after" where I run a program that transfers all the
logs to the server. I use putty and scp.
But mentioning bittorrentsync brought me to the idea to use this for
writing back the logs, too.

Hope some of my ideas help you in the development of your solution.

Greetings ...
 Marco