[wpkg-users] getArchitecture in wpkg.js

Jon Goldberg jon at palantetech.coop
Tue Jul 1 19:13:10 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I run wpkg using the winexe method detailed on the wiki.  Recently I
found a situation that came down to a winexe bug - it was launching a
32-bit command prompt on a 64-bit machine.  This led to
%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% being "x86" and not "AMD64", which led to
getArchitecture() returning the wrong value.

I'm building a new version of winexe from source as we speak - but I
wonder if we should employ a more robust architecture check?  Maybe
check the value/existence of %PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432%?

I'm willing to submit a patch, but this is admittedly far from my area
of expertise, and I wanted to poll the community to see if there's a
reason NOT to do this.  From my testing, it seems that there's no
problem installing a 64-bit .msi on a 64-bit system using a 32-bit
command prompt.

Jon

--
Jon Goldberg, Palante Technology Cooperative
jon at palantetech.coop
Cell (preferred): 347-829-4566
Phone: 888-481-3655 x101
http://www.palantetech.coop