[wpkg-users] WPKG running as local system unable to download profiles.xml file

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Jul 30 08:55:54 CEST 2014

Hi Antony

On 30.07.2014 00:51, Antony Awaida wrote:
> I have identified the problem to be in the following piece of WPKG.js code. So I
> created the following script:
>
> var xsl = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.3.0");
> xsl.async = false;
> xsl.validateOnParse = false;
> xsl.load(filePath);
>                  dinfo("XSLT: " + xsl.xml);
>
> As expected the above script returns an empty xsl.xml when run as LocalSystem.
> However, when I changed the Msxml2.DOMDocument.3.0 to Msxml2.DOMDocument.6.0,
> WPKG does not seem to run.

The code uses Microsoft XML framework objects. If you face issues with the
objects you might try installing latest updates of Microsoft XML Framework.
Though usually the problem is within authentication on network shares and
different handling of SYSTEM account regarding network authentication which is
out of scope for WPKG core development.

I am usually running WPKG using WPKG client which also runs as system account
but does also take care about proper network share credential setup.

You might try two work-arounds:

1. Create service user rather than running WPKG service as SYSTEM account.

2. Instead of launching wpkg.js/cscript.exe directly as a SYSTEM service wrap it
within a cmd.exe script which handles network authentication and credential
setup (net use). The script should verify whether files on share are properly
readable before invoking wpkg.js.

Almost certainly your local SYSTEM account faces access denied on the network
share when connecting to your share. Although this is a guess since you neither
provide logs nor details on your setup (client type, patch level, how credential
setup is done, server type, patch level, connection logs and traces...).